Wednesday, October 22, 2014

My Annual Fall Leaf Paintings

"Fall Leaves #1" watercolor
Copyright Sara Light-Waller, 2014
Yes, it’s that time of year again — the leaf paintings! Every year I do a page of colorful leaf paintings to celebrate the beginning of Fall. This year we only had a short period of time before the drenching rains came and stripped the trees bare of leaves.

Knowing that time was short, I observed the leaf colors carefully, brought home what few leaves I could, and then got out my paints. What makes this years’ paintings a little different is that I used granulating watercolor wet on wet next to transparent pigment in order to create the textures. By doing this I eschewed portrait-like accuracy for a more impressionistic look, letting the paint move as it wished to.
"Fall Leaves #2" watercolor
Copyright Sara Light-Waller, 2014
I like the results, the leaves look accurate, but are really more painterly.

As I listen to the rain pour down outside my window, I wish you all a Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment