Monday, June 30, 2014

Painting Sedona (but this time in the studio)

"Sunset at Bell Rock" watercolor, 12" x 14"
Copyright Sara Light-Waller, 2014

Today’s painting is called, “Sunset at Bell Rock.” This is my first time using rough watercolor paper. I loved it. I was able to use the tooth of the paper to create additional texture. What fun! This is another painting in my series using specific limitations of color. In this case, two colors only — cadmium red medium and phthalo turquoise used low key but with passages of full intensity. Unfortunately, the colors in the photo aren’t exactly true to the painting. The original colors are much more intense and exciting.

I like this one. 

Color notes
Taking a new, and more painterly approach, I dumped my reference photo early in favor of a sketch made from the photo and my memories of the place. This worked very well and helped me create a more dynamic painting.

I have two more paintings in mind using the same subject. So, we'll see how they go.

No comments:

Post a Comment