Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Painting at Bell Rock

"Bell Rock on a hot May morning," watercolor, 9" x 12"

Following our road trip to Prescott, I returned to painting in Sedona. The ambient smoke was the heavier that next morning than it had been since our arrival, and I had to scout for awhile to find a morning painting location that was relatively smoke-free. Added to this were the rapidly rising temperatures, making finding a spot early in the morning, imperative.

I settled on Bell Rock, in one of the hiking areas, as my first location of the day. I painted in a parking lot and although I was alone with the serious hikers and bikers when I started, but the time I was done I had plenty of company — several tour buses full of visitors.
Painting and landscape
If you’re shy, never do art in public. People like to visit and most times are wonderful to talk to. I spoke with many folks that morning while painting, including a few who made me, and my painting, part of their tourist photos.

By this third painting I was really beginning to relax and find my rhythm.
Bell Rock, Sedona, AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment