Monday, January 27, 2014

Bam! A world of fashions made out of paper

Yesterday, Matt and I took a field trip to Bellevue, WA to take in the Isabelle de Borchgrave show at the Bellevue Arts Museum (BAM).
I was only made aware of Isabelle’s work a few days ago and was completely transported by the clothing she creates out of paper. They look real!

Here is a link to the show, in case you'd like to see it.

I’ve created a Pinterest board highlighting some of Isabelle's remarkable fashions.

You can also find out more about the artist on Wikipedia.

Can you believe this gown is made entirely out of paper?
I found Isabelle’s paper fashions an irresistible subject for sketching and did a few drawings while we were at the show. Honestly, I could have stayed there for days drawing all of those dresses. I had such a lovely time.

Sketch by Sara Light-Waller, 2014., Isabelle de Borchgrave show.
Pen & ink, Gelly Roll pen, Koh-I-Noor Hardtmuth Magic Pencils

Sketch by Sara Light-Waller, 2014., Isabelle de Borchgrave show.
Pen & ink, Gelly Roll pen, colored pencil, Koh-I-Noor Hardtmuth Magic Pencils
Urban sketching has become such a regular part of my life that I don’t think twice about drawing in public. I also enjoy chatting with the passersby who are curious about my drawings. I had several engaging conversations yesterday with other museum patrons while drawing. To me, this adds a dynamic facet to both the urban sketcher and museum-goer experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment