Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Mental Break - Gouache Painting

I’ve been so busy with my book illustrations that I haven’t had a chance to paint in a few weeks. I always like to keep my painting skills fresh, even when I'm doing a big project in pen and ink. When I work in color, I usually paint in transparent watercolors. Gouache is an opaque watermedia, which handles like watercolor, but builds differently. Up until now, I've really only used gouache as a way to highlight watercolors. But I have also been interested in trying gouache as a solo medium. I bought myself a small set of Schmincke Horadam gouache paint and decided to do a little painting exercise to try them out.

My gouache test was to make a copy of a detail from Giambattista Tiepolo’s (1696 –1770)  “Rachel Hiding the Idols from her Father Laban.”

My "Rachel" ended up looking quite a bit less agreeable than the Tiepolo's original. Oops! Poor drawing on my part. But I liked her nonetheless and decided to go with the fiercer and, to my eyes, more modern version. That said, here is the original followed by my copy.
 
Giambattista Tiepolo - “Rachel Hiding the Idols from her Father Laban.”

"If You Think I'm Giving You the Idols, Father Laban,
Think Again." Copyright, Sara Light-Waller, 2013
7"x 9" gouache on canvas board.
I could say more about the process of making this painting, but I think I'll wait on that and make a little video about it instead. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment