Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Daily Report: She’s done Jim!

For the past few days I have been taking a breather from the book illustrations (but not the editing) and have been copying a 1911 Edmund Dulac illustration from “The Little Mermaid.” I bit off a lot with this one, especially as my initial drawing wasn’t nearly as precise as it should have been. Yikes! I did learn a lot in the process though, although I do feel like something of a hack seeing mine next to the original.

Here’s the original watercolor painting:

Edmund Dulac, "The Little Mermaid"
Here’s my copy. Mine is watercolor and Neocolor II crayons in a Stillman and Birn Delta series 9” x 12” sketchbook.

Sara Light-Waller, after Dulac.
Doing this color painting was a good break from my inking but now I’m quite eager to get back to it. Onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment