Friday, February 8, 2013

File it under - I'll be darned!

I have been spending a great deal of time editing my novels lately, especially Book 2 of the series at the moment. In between rewriting and sharpening up scenes, I've been enjoying looking at the works of my favorite Golden Age children's book illustrators in hopes of becoming inspired for a series of new illustrations I have planned. Of course, my favorites are the classical masters including: Pyle, Rackham, Ford, Dulac, Goble, and someone rather new to me - Willy Pogany (1882 - 1955). This Hungarian illustrator had quite a diverse style from classical watercolors to fantastic line drawings in an Art Deco style. (There's a Dover book out about him that I've planned to buy but haven't yet.) Last night I was looking through his bibliography on-line when, imagine my surprise, I realized that I already had one of his books!

I'd picked it up at the Seattle Public Library book sale at some point for its lovely (and quite unusual) pen & ink illustrations. It's not in the best shape, but it is here, now an even more cherished part of my reference library.

A well loved book

Title Page
Fantastic Pogany line art
These wonderful initial capitols are peppered throughout the book

No comments:

Post a Comment