Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bright Sunset

“Bright Sunset,” © Sara Light-Waller
7.5” x 10.5” watercolor in a Stillman & Birn Delta sketchbook.
Here is my most recent watercolor painting, “Bright Sunset,” an exploration of graded-color washes applied in slow glazes. I took my time with this painting, waiting until each wash was quite dry before applying the next one. This slow application of color allowed me to get the washes quite bright and fairly smooth, just the ticket for this particular piece. I’m pretty happy with this painting, feeling that it shows a definite improvement in technique over my last two pieces. My only complaint comes from the masking fluid I used to mask out the sun. It proved rather hard on the paper surface as you can plainly see in the top left portion of the sun. Ah well, onwards and upwards!

P.S. The new palette colors are working beautifully for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment