Saturday, August 21, 2010

Back to Pen & Ink Practice

Although I’m not sure I’m completely done with my horse show sketch series, I felt it was time to get back to pen & ink practice today. Scribble lines are another mark that is almost completely new to me. That sounds odd as they are perhaps the most intuitive marks of all! Funny. But in my case, these incredibly useful marks never got the play they clearly deserved.

Pen & Ink Practice ( with Claudia Nice's mark notes)
The scene that I chose to render today is from a photo of a lovely B&B in Victoria, BC called Mulberry Manor. Their back gardens were absolutely lovely, and the tutor style house was also wonderful – inside and out. :-)

Before this piece, I was a bit skeptical about the usefulness of the Derwent Inktense pencils. I hadn’t really found a niche for them in my art kit. I was quite pleased by their performance in this piece and have decided to add them to my traveling sketch bag. I think they’ll make a lovely addition for urban and natural sketching where a touch of bright (but maybe not too subtle) color is needed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Raena! It was so much fun that it's inspiring me to do more gardens. This is a new thought for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete