Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Technique Files: Creating a comic/webcomic

Part 8: Closing a Creative Chapter

I am a storyteller by nature and whether that means words or pictures, I love telling stories. As a writer and illustrator, using the comic/graphic novel/webcomic medium feels like a natural fit for me. So why did I get involved in a collaborative effort in the creation of Privateer Princess? The easy answer is…it was really fun! Our point was never to have the most famous of webcomics but instead to create something that we really enjoyed doing. Although the collaboration proved difficult, Matt and I are both proud of the accomplishment. So would I do it differently if I had it to do over again? Probably. Well...almost certainly, in some ways. In others I’d do it just the same.

Each time you create a piece of art you learn something from the process. If you stick with one technique long enough, you improve and begin to experiment. We worked on our webcomic long enough that I felt confident experimenting with the art, layout, and design. What I learned from that left a deep impression on me. Ultimately, it as a worthwhile, if incomplete project. But maybe I should reframe that last statement. Incomplete…? I don’t think so. It was a chapter completed. If we ever begin it again it will be the start of a new chapter in its life, and ours. In my experience, that will probably bring forth both new energy and a new direction. That’s how life works, after all. New energy in the Spring for renewal and the growth of new things. Whether in art or in life, that sense of renewal is what keeps us moving forward.

So what about the return of Privateer Princess? Maybe someday…but in the meantime it's onwards and upwards to new things!

Bye for now from Snow Wolf and Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment