Saturday, March 27, 2010

Proving a point about paint quality

To prove a point that probably doesn’t need to be made, I have put up two watercolor sketches painted in similar color palettes. The first one, “Sitting Gorilla,” was created with only three colors Quinacridone Gold, Quinacridone Sienna, and French Ultramarine (all Daniel Smith watercolors). The mixing of these three colors created some very lively mixtures that mimicked many more colors.

The one below, “Jane,” (mentioned in yesterday’s post) was done in student quality Sakura Koi watercolors in a similar (but not exactly the same) color palette. I used more colors in the second example trying to replicate what I could do with only three in the first.

I’m aware that to most painters this will not come as a surprise. But to me, as something of a newbie, I found it absolutely fascinating.

"Sitting Gorilla"

"Jane"

I'm really excited to continue painting with limited color palettes for a time to better understand the quality and nature of watercolors.

No comments:

Post a Comment