Sunday, February 7, 2010

Working from Dark to Light

Because this is such a very new blog and no one knows me yet, I’ve decided to spend a little more time introducing myself in this entry. Although I don’t always have the time to do it, whenever I get the chance, I love exploring new techniques. Most of the techniques I have experienced are light to dark skills including watercolor, pencil, colored pencil, carbon dust, pastel dust, silverpoint, pen & ink, etc. Although I have also worked in scratchboard and a very little in acrylic and pastel, I frequently find myself turned around when trying to work from dark to light.

After dabbling in pastels a little this winter and after a wonderful visit to Dakota Arts in Mount Vernon, Washington in January, I am beginning to get intrigued by the idea of working in chalk pastels and building pieces from dark to light. I’d like to send my thanks to Robyn Williamson at Dakota Arts for the wonderful tour and the incredibly insightful view into a beautiful medium. Thanks Robyn!

So, to honor of the process of working dark to light, from my art files here are a few of the rare examples of pieces where I’ve worked from dark to light.


 This is one of my highly rare acrylics, a study/copy of the
18th C Rococo painter, Giovanni Battista Tiepolo. 


This is my first real pastel piece, done this winter, with PanPastels. It’s a portrait of a
champion Great Dane named Krug who belongs to a friend of my sister’s. 


 Finally a silver scratchboard piece of an Illions carousel horse.

Happy Super bowl Sunday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment